"Little" Jimmy Dickens, "I Got A Hole In My Pocket" c.w "Me And My Big Loud Mouth," Columbia 4-41173 (rel. 4/1958)

 

Let's get this week off to a roaring start with a prime example of country goin' rock 'n' roll! It seems that all of Columbia's country artists made at least one try at this new sound in that fertile frenzy from 1956-59. They were sometimes supplied with songs by Boudleaux Bryant, whose string of hits for The Everly Brothers pegged him as Music City's official voice of the teenager.
    The versatile cleffer, who often co-piloted with his talented wife Felice, used this style of songwriting to surprising effect. On such songs as "Gonna Have Myself a Ball" by Lance Roberts and "Mushroom Cloud" by Sammy Salvo, Bryant served up social commentary that anticipated Bob Dylan's canonical protest songs of the 1960s.
    Ain't none o' that on "I Got a Hole in My Pocket," a rollicking 12-bar blues with blistering guitar by Grady Martin, ambient fiddles and solid-if-basic drumming by Ferris Coursey. Content-wise, this differed little from the diminutive Dickens' bent for uptempo novelty songs. Dickens had been peddling these-type songs for a decade, but his easy transition to rock 'n' roll reinforces that style's close connection to country music. His full-bodied vocal, countered by great guitars (including a surprise stand by steel player Jimmy Day), makes for a riveting, impressive and effective slab of Nashville rock 'n' roll. Dickens might have done this as a country novelty, and I'm glad he tried something different here. This side is a big favorite of rockabilly fans and I'm happy to have a copy. Enjoy, McCoy!

Juke box dynamite--so sez our buddies at Cash Box!


Zeke Clements' "Me and My Big Loud Mouth" is what record folk call a country bopper: hotter than your average country record but n-o-t quite rockabilly. Steel guitar and fiddles to the fore on this amusing song of a guy who can't zip his lip when social urgency calls for it. It's a classic example of Dickens' usual fare, which would culminate in his 1965 pop/country hit "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose."
    Note the presence of drums--unthinkable a few years earlier, the onset of rock 'n' roll allowed percussion on the country premises. It was one of many changes country music felt in the last years of the 1950s.


Today's post is the first in a week of destinations. You have just visited Nashville Tennessee. Join us tomorrow for...

Tootie and The Bouquets deliver a sizzling Black girl group goodie from Philadelphia, via an unplayed 1963 Parkway Records platter. Two great performances and songs!

Comments

  1. Grady Martin sure had that Chuck Berry guitar sound down. "I Got A Hole In My Pocket" is a great late '50s rock and roller. "Now Indigestion's five years old, she goes to school next year." Priceless lyrics in "Me And My Big Loud Mouth." Two fun songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I Got A Hole In My Pocket" is excellent. Thanks, Frank! I assume they played it live in the studio and I bet if one could have heard the take from a spot sitting near the group inside the room it would have totally kicked ass. It already rocks as a recording but I think the mix inevitably might have tamed it down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great point, Dean! We can only imagine what these live performances were like for the handful of folks who witnessed them in the studio. We do miss the presence of our full "stereo" real-life audio. I would guess the musicians were separated to minimize leakage into the various mikes, but if one could stand or sit in an ideal place. you'd get the full impact. A fascinating what-if!

      Delete
  3. Or better yet, a spot in front of a foot-high stage in a sweaty little club with the band playing full bore all night!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment