"Singing" Dave "Baby" Cortez, "Let It Be You" c/w "I'm Gonna Stay," Argo 5462 (rel. 2/1964)


Detroit's most successful Black artist before Motown went global, David Clowney had eight pop charters with his organ-led instrumentals. Those singles are common and among my least favorite instros of the era. I'm not a fan of the electric organ in general; a little dab'll do ya in my book. Thus, "The Happy Organ" and its ilk don't do much for me.
    Clowney/Cortez was a prolific songwriter, and his material is always excellent. I've learned to keep an eye out for the Clowney credit on unknown r&b/soul singles. It's a guarantee of something good if not great.
    Dave "Baby" Cortez also did the occasional r&b/soul vocal, and today's scarce Argo Records single is a sweet example of his stylish approach. Both tracks sound later than they are.
    "I'm Gonna Stay" has the organ tamed somewhat on a sensational mid-tempo mover with a Memphis soul sound. Against a bed of riffing horns and a strong bass-line, Cortez croons an up-to-date original that sounds like something Marvin Gaye might've had a hit with on Tamla Records. Dave's softer delivery has a definite style and he plays it cool where many vocalist would've gone full Wilson Pickett. I appreciate his choices and admire the unusual feel of the material.
    The music magazines either didn't know this record existed or pretended that it didn't. Cortez remained known for his instrumentals, which were a squandrance of his musical talent IMO.


"Let It Be You" features the "whisper organ" on an airy ballad with eerie chord changes. Dave appears to play regular piano on this side as well. A femme soul chorus adds to the gospel feel on this side, which has grown on me. At first listen, I wasn't impressed; now I get it.
    Again, I can hear Marvin Gaye doing this to chart success. Cortez didn't have any connection with the Motown empire, to the best of my knowledge, and it was Berry Gordy's loss. Perhaps they'd butted heads in the past. 


I wish David Clowney had done more vocals! He has a distinct style and presents well. It was easy to get typecast in pop music, and once a performer was branded as doing one thing well, they had to struggle out of those confines. Not everyone succeeded at showing the other sides of their talent.

Next: A revisit to Black California girls The Tiaras, via a terrific 1962 Valiant Records platter.

Comments

  1. I have the rollicking-roller-rink "Happy Organ" 45, and it was in a local PA roller rink where I first heard the track as a kid, so that memory is indelible for me. I never heard Clowney's vocals before--very unexpected! I enjoyed both of these tracks--thanks, Frank! I agree that they (the first one in particular to my ear) do sound ahead their time. "I'm Gonna Stay" (again...to my ear) sounds like an unusual distillation of early funk devices, the Memphis Sound, and also some Chicago Soul in there as well. Vocally I hear some Curtis Mayfield going on, too! And the BG vocal arrangement on the second track reminds me a bit of some of the Blossoms' performances...not so much the voices, but the parts. Love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful songs! Definitely hear the on -the-horizon sounds of Gaye and Mayfield. Love the background singers gospel prompting of Clowney's verses on "Let It Be You."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment