Eddie & Ernie, "I'm A Young Man" c/w "Turn Here," Eastern 45-603 (rel. 4/1965)

 


In early 2025, right after your Jukebox moved to fascist-free space, we spotlighted a single by the soulful duo of Eddie Campbell and Ernie Johnson. You can visit that post for their backstory HERE.
    Today we'll hear an earlier release that is, I believe, one of the finest soul 45s ever issued. As a connoisseur of minor-key r&b/soul sides, I was over the moon to find that this release has a pair of them. The tonal palate of the minor key is at the heart of the blues; major-key blues scales touch on minor notes, and songs such as the early Motown classic "Money" are shot through with a minor mood, though the song is otherwise a standard 12-bar blues.
    Indeed, 
the bluesy turns of both songs peg this as not quite soul. It's a late example of straight-up r&b; though the singers' resemblance to a Sam & Dave or the Purify Brothers is evident, these guys are more about getting deep into the blues part of r&b.
    "I'm A Young Man" is a mood piece with a splendid atmosphere. Low-register piano kicks this side off; Eddie and Ernie sing in-characters as a youth in dire need of love. The urgent melody reminds me of, of all things, "Lorene" by the Louvin Brothers.
    Eddie and Ernie sing as if their existence depends on it, and without affect; this is played serious and stark. Guitar joins the arrangement, but that deep-toned piano sees a little masterpiece to its fade-out.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ckahy5fs7e5c0kvfl3idq/2123a.mp3?rlkey=0a0zuaq6zpt9gl56wow6k24pf&st=d7fuknyo&dl=0

"Turn Here" was re-used as the A-side of their next single; it must have gotten a good reaction. For a surprise, the track opens low-volume, then bursts into full level. It's not a fade-in; it's the music equivalent of a cinema shock-cut. Of a piece with the A-side, in theme, mood and spirit, it plays like a slow, sinister alternate to "Harlem Shuffle," with killer blues guitar, sax and finger-snaps.
    I can see why this song was picked for a second try. Both sides are perfect and achieve exactly what they want to do.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0ngmk64q569lpivsbhbf2/2123b.mp3?rlkey=6dyyzflped6sb712o7nmgdxx3&st=e0bl1rbx&dl=0


    Fish story: while killing time in-between busses a few miles from home, I stopped in a cluttered record-cum-junk shop with boxes of unsorted, often unsleeved 45s. I never know what's going to turn up in that chaos. After half an hour of digging (and two missed busses) I found a clean promo copy of this single for 40 cents. Conclusion: somebody up there likes me.

Tomorrow: rockin' r&b from the great Larry Williams. I have completed his run of Specialty Records 45s, so it's an occasion to celebrate this singular Black musician in his glory on a lesser-known 1958 release.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the cool post, Frank! E and E rule. There may even be a little tip of the cap to a particular Ringo fill on the second track, but we'll probably never know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dean, glad you share my fondness for the two Es! And, yeah, the drumming is very Ringo-ish; it contributes to the performance, has many tasty fills yet never distracts from what's going on upfront. Love to know who these musicians were. Maybe the liner notes on the 2002 CD reissue of their music would provide some names.

      Delete
    2. I just listened to the second track a couple more times...yes, such a nice feel on the drums. I saw Ringo live last year in Philadelphia and he still has it!

      Delete
  2. Both of these are haunting songs to me. "I'm A Young Man" has many echoes of that spooky Screamin' Jay Hawkins 1956 song "I Put A Spell On You." "Turn Here" and those thumping bass notes really grab your gut and that wild electric guitar is so exactly right.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment