Valiants [Los Angeles], "Lover, Lover" c/w "Walkin' Girl," Keen 3-4007 (rel. 3/1958)
The story of The Valiants has been attempted here in the past. This group sported more names than our shady vice "president" and made records for anyone who might produce a contract or do a handshake agreement. Billy Storm, who had a successful solo career, is the only member who might be known to reg'lar folks. Despite their chameleonic vibe, this LA-based quartet delivered some of the best vocal group sides of the 1950s--today's record among them.
Here's another excellent release not given any attention by the music influencers of its day. Other releases by the group on Keen Records were publicized and reviewed; not this one. Cash Box mentions, in a columnist's page, that the group was out touring in March 1958 in support of this single.
There was every reason to raise public awareness: this is an incredible single. "Lover, Lover" is a superb example of the atmospheric, dramatic Black vocal-group sound. Full of Latin percussion and arranged with a huge sound, it's an overwhelming song and performance, with some wild, exotic deviations from the doo-wop norm. Lead vocalist Storm wails this vivid melody with soul, including a long wordless section at record's end. This is one o' them-there "wow" records, and its obscurity is baffling--but typical of the era. It has echoes of "Little Darlin'" by The Marigolds and presages The Flamingos' immortal version of "I Only Have Eyes for You," which was a year away from recording and release when this record hit the streets.
If you read Goldberg's article, you'll learn the many names these performers used in what must have been an interesting career. Some of their singles are quite rare and spendy; others, like their debut version of "Good Golly Miss Molly," sold well and are common. Anytime I see the Jones/Pipkins/Cofield/Spencer songwriting credits on an otherwise-unknown single, I'll nab it.
Tomorrow: a weird one-off for vocal group The Victorials from Imperial Records, 1956. Weird-but-great, that is. And maybe, just maybe, someone reviewed it back in the day!



More fascinating tracks piped through the time machine portal thanks to Frank and his inspired collecting efforts/investigations! That's some serious clarity and range on these vocals--wow! Jackie Wilson meets Clyde McPhatter meets Dee Clark plus a whole additional layer of chops and style!
ReplyDeleteFor some reason I think Frank Zappa would've liked that first track. The second appeals even more to me. I cannot help but doing serious head-nodding as I listen.
ReplyDeleteTo Dean and MLE: Thank you for your kind sheaf of comments! They made my day! This group is one of the great hidden treasures of Black vocal music. I agree that Frank Zappa would've enjoyed their stuff. I'm sure their paths crossed in 1960s musical LA. And Billy Storm, who Dean mentions, is such a superb vocalist! He seldom got to do material like this, but always shines in those moments.
ReplyDeleteBilly Storm sure had a pair of lungs. How he sings "Lover, Lover" is amazing. Love "Walkin' Girl" and its fast rock-cha-cha beat. Latin-ish Champs' "Tequila" territory but with a lot more words. When I first read the cool crazy rainbow KEEN label, I thought it said THE VARIANTS. That would be a cool name for a doo-wop group.
ReplyDelete