TINA & THE MUSTANGS, "SMOKEY JOE'S" C/W "I'M SWEET ON YOU," CAPITOL 5562 (REL. 1/1966)


David Axelrod's cult following, which began in the 1990s, when hipsters discovered his funky, evocative productions for Capitol Records, has continued into the here and now. While I don't revere him as much as some do, I concur that his Capitol work is excellent. Modern-day DJs sample from the instrumental sections of his albums and singles, and given how tight and groove-oriented they are, it makes sense.
       Sampling is a peculiar art; the notion that a recording is valuable only for a moment's drumbeat or horn flourish, rather than as a whole, is kind of a diss to the work, but it has created some fascinating results (and lawsuits). Today, we'll just listen to both sides of an Axelrod-produced 45. This was the first outing for Tina Mason, who had three singles and an LP produced for Capitol Records. 
        I assume that The Mustangs were Tina's backing group on this blue-eyed-soul excursion with two excellent movers. Up first is "Smokey Joe's," penned by Valerie Simpson, Nicholas Ashford and Josephine Armstead. It was first recorded by Black girl group The Jewels in 1965. That record's psycho-bouncy arrangement by Charles Callelo suggests an inevitable white cover, and Tina/David were ideal for the task.
       No arranger is credited on the Capitol single; it might be H. B. Barnum, who worked with Axelrod often. Tina gives a credible performance; sort of an American Dusty Springfield, with a bit of Yankee perkiness tempered by a breathier soul influence. The backup singers might be The Blossoms, who are on so many LA productions of the day.
           Any female performer would've been proud of the results. Mason's voice is well-framed in a powerful (but not overpowering) production and arrangement that might have been a better choice for the A-side.

"Groovy stand of this rocker." Can I get a matching table lamp?


"I'm Sweet on You" is dedicated to our good friend Suzie Hummacker. Tommy Boyce, Bobby Hart and Steve Venet co-penned this true pop confection. Boyce and Hart were on the cusp of their time with The Monkees when they created this cute waltz-time lilter. The soul grit of "Smokey Joe's" is gone, though Mason's expressive style uplifts this sonic bon-bon. The backup singers do a nice counterpoint and the results sound like a Christmas song despite no affiliation to any holiday. 
        In other hands, this could be cringe, but it resists that urge and is sweet without sickening the listener. No small feat, this!


Tomorrow: The Spaniels deliver vocal group bliss with an ideal Vee-Jay single from 1955. Hot rocker with wild guitar on side A; classy blues ballad on the B. 

Comments

  1. Yay! Thanks! And DoobyDo, I'm sweet on you, too!!! - Suzie H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to hear--thanks Frank! The second track has sort of a sped-up Bacharach feel. I just ordered the Bobby Hart "Psychedelic Bubblegum" memoir...my brother said it wasn't very well written but was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely hear that Dusty Springfield-adjacent voice on "Smokey Joe's." As Dean points out—"I'm Sweet On You" really does have a Bacharach vibe with Mason doing a credible Dionne Warwick-ish delivery. Her "The Way Of Love" is available to hear on YouTube. She does a Lulu impression on this one. She was evidently a regular singer/dancer on "Where The Action Is" TV show from 1966-67. I loved that show as a pre-teen and must have seen her perform.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment