The Sentinals, "Tor-Chula" c/w "Latin'ia," WCEB 23 (rel. ?/1962; reissued as Era 3082, 6/1962)
One of the rarest records I shall ever lay hands on was given to me last Sunday at a little record show. My friend who gifted it to me is trying to shed some excess baggage, couldn't remember having acquired the single, and just chose to pass it on. I feel the need to extend the kindness, so please see the notice at the bottom of this post.
This is the first release of a surf instrumental masterpiece. It's on par with last Saturday's post of The Invictas' sinister, adventurous 1964 20th Century-Fox single "Breakout"/"Missing." In case you missed that post, just click on the "Saturday Club" label on this post and you'll get a list of all the Saturday records. They're among the least-viewed posts here and contain some of the best records in my collection. Treat yourself to some unusual music.
I saw that this was a Capitol Records custom pressing: the font of the song and artist information is unmistakable. It's pressed on heavy, good-quality vinyl. I noticed a lot of handwriting on both labels. In the relative dark of the room, and without my glasses, I assumed some fervent fan had tagged the record, which they may have purchased from the group at one of their live gigs. When I got home, I photographed both labels and saw they were autographed by the five members of the band. Holy crap! This is already a rare record; perhaps one small run of a few hundred copies. Having the five signatures of its performers and composers makes it a very special item. It's also one of my top favorite guitar instrumental singles of any time, place or genre.
I first heard these two sides on CD in the 1990s, when the success of Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction created a new demand for atmospheric 1960s instrumentals. The unusual qualities of both sides got to me, with the B-side an absolute masterpiece in my book. Over the years, I've tried to acquire the Era Records edition of the single, but something always went south. (Twice, I've bought it from Discogs vendors who couldn't locate the record and refunded my money.)
The group came from San Luis Obispo, CA, where an earlier instrumental group, The Revels, had formed. That group had a national hit with "Church Key" in 1960. Both groups played the same shows in the area, and the younger Sentinals no doubt picked up some showmanship tips in the process. The Revels' sound owed something to that of The Champs. The Sentinals had a saxophone player, but leaned more towards the dynamic Stratocaster lead guitar of Tommy Nunes, whose playing on both sides is spellbinding.
"Tor-Chula"'s label is autographed by drummer John Barbata (whose name is mis-spelled as 'Barata' on the label) and bassist Gary Winburne. It's a quick blend of The Champs' "Tequila" and Southwestern guitar group The Fireballs' hit "Torquay." Despite this obvious template, it's a melodic, moody stand buoyed by Nunes' deft playing and Bob Holmquist's sax. Rhythm guitarist Peter Graham is locked in with Nunes and their playing keeps this side romping. Bassist Winburne has the song's coda to himself; his crisp notes are an ideal end to this party-atmosphere mover. But the best is yet to come!
Though their recordings were popular with retro music fans in the 1990s, their original releases didn't crack the pop charts. Big Surf sold well for Del-Fi, but their singles were perhaps too intense for the mainstream. They recorded vocals as time went on but remained true to their solid, self-contained sound and for that I applaud them.
Now to the announcement: I accumulate some good records that I already have in my collection. I would be delighted to gift a stack of them to someone who might enjoy them. If you'd like them, leave a comment on this post and we'll arrange for them to be sent your way. If you like this blog, I am certain you'll be pleased with the stack of singles that I'll give to you. First come, first served.
Tomorrow: Southern soul of the primitive variety by Clarence Nelson on a rare vinyl promo pressing of a Pen Records single from 1964. Soul snob approved!






I'm first come, but'll let the next person gnab 'em since I don't listen to much vinyl these days.
ReplyDeleteGREAT SURF!
ReplyDeleteThese guys were certainly talented musicians—a sound as you said borrowed from The Champs and I think the Tornados too. They could have been added to the soundtrack of an AIP Beach movie and been heard by even more teens. I can see Frankie and Annette on the same board, making google eyes at one another —with a rear projection wave breaking behind them.
ReplyDelete