Lafayettes, "Caravan Of Lonely Men" c/w "I Still Do," RCA-Victor 47-8082 (rel. 9/1962)


Featured in John Waters' classic film Hairspray, "Life's Too Short" was a perfect specimen of 1962 pop music. To most viewers, it was an unknown song; it peaked at #87 on the Billboard Hot 100 and thus wasn't a canonical "classic oldie." Like Waters, the group hailed from Baltimore, Maryland-a hot spot for vernacular music.

"Life's Too Short" sold well enough on the East Coast for RCA-Victor to give the group a second single. It failed in the marketplace and Victor dropped the group. Some prefer this second 45 to "Life's Too Short;" I am not among that number, but I do think it's worth hearing. The A-side is a perfect example of the elusive popcorn sound. Written by bubblegum guru Jeff Barry and Derek Pretlow, "Caravan of Lonely Men" was recorded by a few other artists, including French rocker Johnny Halladay, who visited Nashville for an incongruous rock 'n' roll session that year.

Intense percussion opens this existential drama-in-song. Lead vocalist Frank Bonarrigo has a touch of Joey Ramone in his voice as he assays this surreal epic of dejected "lonely men with broken hots," as Bonariggo sings it, marching in a forlorn line across a desolate landscape. It's one strange song that's radio-friendly on its surface. Once you pay attention to the lyrics...whew-ee! Perfect background music for the year of the Cuban missile crisis.
 
Cash Box must have had the crying towel concession in 1962, given the number of times they evoke that phrase in their review. I wonder how much they charged per use?

We're in more traditional white doo-wop territory with "I Still Do," a bouncy song co-written by group guitarist Lee Bonner, who co-wrote "Life's Too Short." It opens with the usual doo-wop nonsense syllables which lead to a punkier vocal stand by Bonariggo, which he carries solo. His unique vocal styling makes a generic-ish song sound better than it is. Bonariggo's singing fascinates me; it sounds out of time yet spot-on in the 1962 pop music universe. 


Huge on their home turf, The Lafayettes were perhaps too regional-sounding to make a national splash. After Victor dumped them, they made a final single for a small label as Frank James and The Lafayettes. That single, issued in 1964 and far freakier-sounding than their RCA-Victor sides, is their most sought-after release (and one I'd like to acquire someday, just to complete my set.)

And that's all we got for today!

Tomorrow: Among the many things I'm thankful for are 1950s Black vocal group 45s. Otis Williams and his Charms heat up your gravy and biscuits with a scorching 1958 double-dipper for the DeLuxe label. The musical equivalent of that second slice of pie you'll have tomorrow!



Comments