Carl Thomas And The Fitones, "I Love You Judy" c/w "Sweet Lovin' Maryan," O Gee 1003/1004 (rel. 12/1959)

 


A visit to a record store in a small Washington town accorded me the pleasure of browsing a group of records I'd never seen before. I eliminated a few more platters from my want list and discovered a bunch of new-to-me discs, this one included. 

The Fitones (it was supposed to read 'Firetones')* are an excellent vocal group, and lead man Carl Thomas delivers the goods on a pair of spicy teen rockers that made no impact on their first release (aside from a gruff Billboard review). In 1960, the two sides were re-issued on the also-teensy Stroll label; same outcome.

O-Gee appears to have been created for all-'round entertainer Gladys "Glad Rags" Patrick, whose preferred mode was jazz-pop diva. Its small, eccentric discography reveals the label took a five-year hiatus in 1962, and then another 18-year break in 1967. I'm sure the reasons for those two long pauses come with a good story or stories, but they remain untold.

Today's record was love at first listen. I hope it will have the same effect on you! It was the apparent lone recording of vocalist Carl Thomas,

Carl Thomas sings lead on two rough and ready youthful rockers with a touch of doo-wop. I can't decide if Thomas is Black or white. His raspy, warm attack is wonderful: spot-on and full of enthusiasm, with the Fi-Tones in fine vocal and instrumental support. Add to this a great, gritty studio sound and you have catnip to these ears (minus all the flakes, which can be quite scratchy).

"I Love You Judy" might hint at a smooshy ballad, but it ain't. It's an up-tempo bopper with a swamp pop vibe. The stop-and-start opening of each verse is perfect, and the powerful Fi-Tones harmonies sound dense and exciting. The sax player is top-tier. I'd swear that was King Curtis; on first listen, I surmised this might be some regional effort, but if Curtis is present, that theory is shot. (That said, Curtis did travel to Clovis, New Mexico to record with Buddy Holly in 1958. Have sax, will travel?)

Billboard's grumpy teen-music hatin' reviewer did acknowledge the existence 
of this rare rockin' record. Just barely...


"Sweet Lovin' Maryan" is a tad faster, and is a recording that, as you hear it, you realize is one you've always wished for. Thomas sings with certainty and his bandmates back him up to the hilt, with solid guitar/sax/drums/bass just goin' to town. Should I ever give a public lecture on the joys of obscure teen rockin' 45s, this would be Exhibit A. The boss beauty of this deck speaks for itself, so play, record, play...


Neither iteration of this single went anywhere, and these talented performers went back to whatever they did before stardom teased them with a bat of its long, seductive lashes.

*  An established Black vocal group called The Fi-Tones made nine singles from 1955 to 1960; I have a copy of their debut disc, "Foolish Dreams;" they are not these accidental Fitones.

Tomorrow: future bubblegum songwriter Steve Duboff and his friend Tom Fexas  deliver a pair of rustic Everly Brothers-esque teen harmony winners, via an also-obscure 1959 release on the Charm Records label.

Comments

  1. Definitely merry melodies from late '50s. Funny that both songs have girl's names in the titles. A thing? It's a possibility! Love that last falsetto note on "...Judy." Maybe a wink to the Diamond's "Little Darlin'"?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment