The Choir, "It's Cold Outside" c/w "I'm Goin' Home," Roulette R-4738 (rel. 4/1967)

The Choir hailed from Cleveland, Ohio, and their story is typical of many a Midwestern rock band of the 1960s. Beatlemania was the starting point: four high-schoolers caught up in the excitement of a massive cultural shift.
They got a band together, and called themselves The Mods. All members grew their hair long. Guitarist Wally Bryson was evicted from high school due to his hair, which he refused to shorten. What did effin' high school matter? His band was gonna be on the top of the world!
Sensations in Cleveland, The Choir played every teen show and opening-act slots in local concerts; hometown heroes, they sought to get a recording contract with a record label. Canadian-American Records liked their sound and their local following and released the first issue of today's single. They couldn't handle national distribution, so Roulette Records picked up the option and their release got on the national pop charts. "It's Cold Outside" reached the middle of the Hot 100 in early 1967. Recorded over a year earlier, the two sides were a bit past their commercial prime in the year of psychedelia, but had appeal to the younger audience who liked The Monkees, Grass Roots and other Beatle-inspired melodic pop bands.
These two sides were penned by group member Dan Klawon, whose name was misspelled as Klawson on the Roulette pressings. "I'm Cold Outside" sounds like Help!-era Beatles, with the tradition-based chord progessions John Lennon enjoyed in his work and some addled guitar jangle in a tight, crisp presentation that showed the group's ambitions to conquer the pop scene. The song sounds like a hit, with its infectious chorus and bouncy verses. As noted in yesterday's post, it contrasts a happy-go-lucky melody with angsty lyrics. The schism works well here: it's as if the song's narrator is trying not to dwell on the sadness of his situation. Sing a happy tune and even if the words are sad, some good might come from it!
For reasons unknown. this song will not play on Dropbox. Perhaps there's some copyright kvetch. Thus, "I'm Cold Outside" is hosted on Goofle Drive. I hope it will play for you. (UPDATE: I forgot that Goofle Drive requires a "share will all users" box checked. I've checked the fucking box; should work now...)
For reasons unknown. this song will not play on Dropbox. Perhaps there's some copyright kvetch. Thus, "I'm Cold Outside" is hosted on Goofle Drive. I hope it will play for you. (UPDATE: I forgot that Goofle Drive requires a "share will all users" box checked. I've checked the fucking box; should work now...)
At last: a friggin' review, from Billboard, since Cash Box was out to lunch on this hit record.
"I'm Going Home" is in a Yardbirds style, with wailin' harmonica, r&b structure and a more gruff lead vocal. The lead vocalist (who I think is Wally Bryson) is a bit tone-deaf, but compensates for his tin ear with enough attitude to pass muster. It's a B-side through and through: well-done but lacking the sparkle of the poppier A.
Dropbox will play this side, so it comes from our regular source.
In an ideal world, "It's Cold Outside" would've soared into the Top 10 and made The Choir a national smash. Alas, the single stalled at #68. A planned album was scrapped, and a follow-up single tanked at #134. Dan Klawon left the group, which straggled on into 1970. Their reputation in the garage world grew over the years; both sides of this single were included in the popular Nuggets and Pebbles garage-band compilation series. Their unissued 1967 album has been released on CD and contains some superb tracks. Had they hit the scene a year earlier, their story might have a happier ending. At least they got one decent-ish hit!
Tomorrow: Value for money, with a six-track 1962 UK EP for the delightful teen film Some People. The haunting voice of Valerie Mountain and guitar group The Eagles offer a variety of great songs. The movie's well worth seeing, too!





Thanks for mentioning that "It's Cold Outside" appears in Nuggets. Listening to it now!
ReplyDeleteTwo great songs! Too bad they didn't make it. "It's Cold Outside" reminded me of Gary Lewis and the Playboys' sound. Pretty sure I actually heard this one on my local radio station growing up. "I'm Going Home" has a guitar beat "borrowed" from Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" (or Johnnie Rivers' version)— at least to my ears.
ReplyDelete