Sylvia Robbins, "Don't Let Your Eyes Get Bigger Than Your Heart" c/w "From The Beginning," Sue 45-805 (rel. 3/1964)


You’d never guess it from their delightful recordings, but Mickey Baker and Sylvia Robbins couldn’t stand each other. I don’t know if this enmity developed over time, but Baker and Robbins split up for a bit in 1959. Mickey tried to get a new act going with Kitty Noble as his partner, but that lasted for three singles on Atlantic Records; then perhaps Ms. Noble had all she could stand. Baker, a brilliant guitarist, was a blunt personality—your classic ‘my way or the highway’ profile.

As the hottest session guitarist in New York, he might have developed an arrogance. Or perhaps Sylvia’s personality pushed enough of his buttons for personal discord. The Mickey and Sylvia brand, if you will, was strong, and the two continued this dance through the 1960s. In 1964, Sylvia Robbins stepped out with two superb solo singles for Sue Records. The first, which we’ll hear today, comprises two original songs. The second, which was played back on Fascistbook, had one side by Rudy Clark, noted Black cleffer; the B was penned by Smokey McAllister.

They’re two of my favorite records—both contain that ‘something’ that makes a euphoric listening experience. “Our Love,” the top side of the second single, is a soaring, moving song that I’d put in my Top 10 favorites list. To that I might add the A-side of today’s 45. Since I got it last week, I can’t stop listening to it. I know I need to curtail my exposure: I hate it when a magnificent record becomes too familiar. If you’ve not heard it, I envy you your first exposure to “Don’t Let Your Eyes Get Bigger Than Your Heart.”

To a killer funky groove, with electric organ and brass to the fore, a multi-tracked Sylvia becomes her own girl group on this playful, moody narrative of a woman who knows her guy has a wandering eye but chooses to let it pass—with the proviso that this fancy doesn’t turn into something serious.

Sylvia’s voice is so appealing on this recording! Her lead is seductive, teasing and worldly-wise, and her self-harmonies are spot-on. This record has everything: great groove, melody, lyrics and a sublime performance. How could such a potent blend of elements fail to succeed? Beatlemania—the most common reason for the neglect given thousands of worthy songs and performers in that year. Here is a song as good as anything The Beatles created that year, but because it wasn’t sung by a British group, no one was interested.

I could see this side making a smash during a soul DJ’s set; it gets your attention and never lets go. I’m delighted to share this unappreciated gem with you today.

Cash Box was behind this fab record; too bad the deejays didn't catch on as well.

“From the Beginning” features a loose double-tracked lead vocal by Sylvia, with additional harmonies. This gentler, more pensive item, with its tinge of country influence, is riveting in its own way.

Robbins is such a likeable singer! Her self-harmonies are warm, dense and moving. The calmer mood of this side is touching and engrossing. The arrangement supports her performance with an ideal touch. I’ve been fortunate to acquire hundreds of great singles this year, but this one may be my favorite so far. Records like this make the horrors of 2025 more manageable—that and my friends. I’m grateful for it all.


And for a bonus, here's "Our Love," part of post #650 from 2022. This Rudy Clark song is another masterpiece that deserves a re-visit. Sheer perfection!


(insert boilerplate paragraph of your own choosing about Sylvia's role in the birth of rap music a decade later. Such hijinks are beyond the purview of this blog.)

Tomorrow: Midwestern garage band The Gestures, who hit with "Run, Run, Run" in the fall of 1964, offer up their second Soma single-a record whose chart chances were cancelled out because both songs were so good! A great early '65 dose of Beatle-tastic melodic pop-rock.




Comments

  1. What gems! My life's richer for knowing 'em and havin' 'em in my life. Thank you, again, for the great write-up and tunes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are evermost welcome. I'm glad these tunes pleased you!

      Delete
  2. Two wonderful sounding songs! Amazing double tracking for that 'girl group' sound. That organ winks at Motown-to-come and "From the Beginning" tips its hat to Bacharach and his rhythms. These shoulda been hits. Darn that Beatlemania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been addicted to the A side since I got this record. Have to wean myself of it for a wee bit!

      Delete

Post a Comment