JOE TEX, "DAVY, YOU UPSET MY HOME" C/W "COME IN THIS HOUSE," KING 45-4840 (REL. 11/1955)

Much
can be learned about American history from popular culture. Though forgotten
today, pioneer Davy Crockett was a huge presence in mid-1950s America. Fess
Parker portrayed the easy-going trailblazer in a TV series that galvanized
Boomer kids and sired a marketing bonanza—all manner of toys, clothing, books,
recordings, food products…you name it. From the coonskin caps worn by many a
future Vietnam soldier to bubblegum cards and comic books (some created by Jack
Kirby, future eminence in the Marvel Comics empire), Davy was inescapable.
Joe
Tex mines this mania for humor in “Davy, You Upset My Home,” a laff-happy
account of a guy whose woman has drunk deep of the Crockett Kool-Aid. She
couldn’t care less for our hero: Davy is her sole obsession. She gets Davy Crockett
false teeth, a Crockett wig, et al and won’t give him the time of day.
He
doesn’t share her affection for the manifest destiny icon and she shuns him
because “I didn’t fight my way through no Indian war.” Things get violent;
trigger warning. Joe pledges allegiance to Paul Revere just to get even.
Despite the moment of physical brutality—an unfortunate constant in r&b music of the era—Tex’s song and performance are colorful and winning. He spoke for many a baffled adult, Black or white, whose patience for the pioneer wore then in 1955. King of the wild fron-tier…..
“Come
In the House” is a possible sequel to the other side. In this moody mid-tempo
ballad, Joe exhorts a former lover to come in out of the rain and cold; let
bygones be bygones, Tex says.
Joe’s
performance is passionate and convincing, and the band delivers the low-down
goods. No sideman takes a solo, but they churn out a stately backdrop for this
teenager’s seasoned-sounding voice and first-rate performance.
My
first copy of this single is in what I call Z- condition. One side played with
millions of crackles and snaps; the other skipped like mad. I made a major and
welcome upgrade at one of the three record shows I’ve just been to; glad to
have this much-improved copy. Link is working!!!!





"Davy,..." probably was considered a novelty record but it's certainly much better than a typical one—a nice sincere jump number. Jeez, this guy sure was brutal to his gal but it does sound like she was truly infected with Davy Crockett mania. When I was in Cub Scouts around six years old, I have a distinct memory of a fellow Cub Scouter owning a Davy Crockett coon skin cap and he let me wear it. The link to "Come In This House" didn't work for me.
ReplyDeleteLink is fixed. I had a whole buncha crap coming at me this morning and I didn't do the five clicks required to embed the fucking link. Ah, well. Try it again, Bill!
Delete