Ranee & Raj, "Feel Like a Clown" c/w "Rainbow Land," Decca 32303 (Canadian issue; rel. 3/1968)
I got word of
a sidewalk sale at a major record store tucked away in a tony neighborhood
where a bottle of water costs seven dollars—if you’re lucky. I always feel an
intruder amidst these stately manors and immaculate lawns. Shiny happy people
can be seen admiring their yards, fussing with their spendy cars and otherwise
exuding the alleged good life I’ll never know.
The focus of
this scrappy sale were six large plastic tubs of scattered, mistreated 45s.
While others found even greater things than I, their lack of musical knowledge
left some goodies unturned and I picked up at least 20 top-tier records, plus
some unknown duds that went from prospective hopefuls to unsleeved and on the
tosh pile in less than a minute. That’s bound to happen; every record collector
has a box or two of duds.
If a record
has a scintilla of interest and is cheap, I’ll give it a go. Thus, the Canadian
edition (the only one known far as I can tell, which can’t be true) of a 1968
single by the duo Ranee and Raj came into my hands. Might it be the
much-desired popsike—that blend of mainstream music with a fine sprinkle of the
exotic? For a dollar, I’d find out.
In the moment,
I didn’t realize it was the Canadian issue. It looks almost like a US Decca
retail copy, but the typeface is different and there’s no mention of it being a
product of American Decca. A wag on 45cat.org pointed out the small cluster of
type on the left center side of the labels that proclaimed it Canadian.
Big things
were predicted for their debut disc, released on Fontana Records. It wasn’t a big
hit, despite some good media exposure, including two turns on the influential Top of the Pops TV show, where the duo
mimed “Feel Like a Clown” twice in 1968. It was through no fault of the
recording, which captures a brooding mood in its verses that leads to a soaring
moment (first heard at 00:33) and a refrain that reminds of country music.
Sandra Edema’s voice is most impressive; she has excellent control, phrasing
and expression. Mendis has a distant supporting role; he chimes in on the
chorus,
There’s really no psych in this side; it sounds like an anguished version of The Seekers doing an unknown song by American artist Del Shannon. It’s superb as a piece of pop music, but guaranteed to disappoint the popsike crowd, who, like Dixieland enthusiasts, want things just so or they’ll sulk. And grouse.
“Rainbow Land”
might mollify that crowd a bit more. In theory, it might be an early song in
the Spinal Tap discography. This is un-ironic flower-power,
love-peace-and-understanding music in a gleaming pop music setting. Edema and
Mendis sing in harmony here to fine effect, and the session guitarist gets to
take a full-chorus solo. It’s easy to imagine a cover version by, say, The
Hollies; it might have been a hit for them.
This was touted as the A-side in America, where it failed to click. The Canadian edition I own has an orange marker X on that side, so it was likely the topside for that market as well.
The duo got a
second single, “Razor Edge,” which delivers more of what the popsike crowd
wishes to hear. It flopped in the UK and no other releases were attempted. The
musical couple receded from the public eye in the Western world.
Tomorrow: another
find from ‘the tubs:’ a 1962 rarity by r&b supergroup The “5” Royales, via
an ABC-Paramount platter. This was the first record I found on that day.







These two had a great sound—though if released in 1968 it may have sounded dated. Still, I would listen to awhile of album of Ranee and Raj. A great find!
ReplyDeleteI had that same feeling. They feel like SCTV characters: slightly off-kilter but human and most likable. A Ranee and Raj LP would be welcome. I wonder if they made any in Sri Lanka?
Delete