Lennie Tristano & Group: Piano Stylist EP, Savoy XP 8084 (rec. 10/1947; rel. ?/1953)
Much
of early modern jazz developed without recordings. A pair of recording bans
during World War II kept mainstream audiences unaware of changes in vernacular
music. Aside from radio performances, or live events, this quiet revolution
seemed to appear on the horizon after the recording ban, which began August 1, 1942,
was lifted two years later.
The
ban was officiated by Jimmy Petrillo, head of the American Federation of
Musicians. He put it into effect because, as a determined union leader, he felt
performers were cheated by on-air plays of the commercial recordings. He
demanded restitution for every record played for broadcast. His plan: a union
fund for each musician would be established; any airplay would result in
royalties paid to that fund.
As
well, no new compositions could be performed in this interstice. That’s the
reason “As Time Goes By,” an obscure 1930 pop song, became a major hit via the
1943 film Casablanca, to cite one
instance of how the music business worked within these strict sanctions. At
this time, younger jazz musicians, through after-hours jam sessions, developed
a new strain in American music.
Freedom
from the constraints of what jazz had become—bands were corporations, with each
member part of a team. Certain performers, like Tex Beneke of Glenn Miller’s
orchestra or Frank Sinatra (then with Harry James’ band), might become pop
stars, but the general vibe was that the bandleader was the star, and all his
musicians mere employees.
The
new wave of jazz musicians didn’t want this. Each musician was his/her own
valid entity and could function as a soloist or collaborate whim whomever they
chose. New compositions, generated through improvisations to the chord patterns
of pop songs and show tunes, encouraged unboxed thinking by these young
players. Standard songs such as “How High the Moon” and “Cherokee” sired many modern
jazz classics. This new approach was nicknamed bebop and became a major force
in jazz post-war.
Though
the new music’s austerity frightened some mainstream listeners away, many
people appreciated the excitement and freshness of bebop. A few of its leading
lights became public celebrities. Trumpeter John Burks “Dizzy” Gillespie became
the public poster-child of bebop, with his exaggerated horn-rim specs, beret,
goatee and his eccentric approach to his instrument. Modern jazz was a vibrant
subculture; in its world, Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis, Bud
Powell, Gillespie and Lennie Tristano were superstars.
The
1950s saw the decline of the mainstream big band; one of America’s great
musical figures, Edward “Duke” Ellington, came close to shuttering his band mid-decade.
Such groups had large expenses—transportation, food, shelter, et al—and with
less public enthusiasm and support, this format, which lasted two decades, faced
extinction; the rise of youth music pushed the old guard further into the
background. Modern jazz appreciation became a touchstone of sophistication for
the average urban American.
Today’s
EP single consists of four tracks recorded by pianist-composer Tristano,
guitarist Billy Bauer and bassist John
Levy. They were recorded in New York on October 23, 1947 and epitomize the
anything-goes air of early bebop. The four song titles—“Supersonic,” “On a
Planet,” “Air Pocket” and “Celestia”—suggest a concept of music from another
world.
Bauer’s
electric guitar leads these four songs, with Tristano the composer heard to
elegant effect at the start of “On a Planet.” If these melodies sound agonized to
modern ears, imagine how unusual they seemed 80 years ago when their ideas were
new and unexpected. The near-atonal noodling of “Planet” is reflective,
thought-provoking and evocative. Ideas tumble out of nowhere, are embraced by
all three musicians and plumbed for harmonic variations. “Planet” is sometimes
soothing but often distracting and demanding; our ears never know quite where
it may go. It’s the finest track on the first side of this 1953 EP, which you
can hear…well, you know!
“Air
Pocket,” a joyous romp through the musical galaxy, opens side two. Tristano’s
sprightly piano and Bauer’s frenetic guitar bubble and froth through a happy
chord sequence that reminds of “How High the Moon,” the 1940 pop song
introduced in a Broadway revue. Its free-associative chords and harmonies were
a huge inspiration to this new wave of jazz composers and musicians.
“Celestia” is stately—a contemplation of the universe related in musical notes and phrases. Tristano’s piano leads this piece and the composer plays with passion and authority. The minor-keyed bridge (or “release”) is Bauer’s, and he approaches its strains with the same wide-eyed sense of wonder. This poignant recording is so full of hope and promise for a better world—one I hope we will all see yet.
This record has such low mastering that I had to boost its signal 100% to get an audible transfer. I then de-hissed it, since it was made on early audio tape before sound engineers understood its capabilities. I did a light EQ to brighten the sound without exaggerating its timbre. I hope I’ve done justice to these four remarkable avant-garde pieces of music.
Tristano’s life and career are too complex to capture here, but I direct those interested to a well-written and -researched Wikipedia page on the musician’s life and career: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennie_Tristano#
Tomorrow: Another 180, as Chicago girl group The Dynettes deliver a pair of powerful items for Soulful Sunday. A Constellation Records 45 from 1965.

_(cropped).jpg)





No need to fix it on my account (if it is in fact broken), but when I click on the second link I get just an enlarged graphic of the link button. I did listen again to the track on YouTube though. As a kid I saw the "shot in England and aired in the US" Hullabaloo episode you mentioned when it first ran. I remember the drummer and the sax player cracking me up and they still do. I liked "Yeh Yeh" and bought the 45. Fame has deceptively great pitch!
ReplyDeleteI fixed it--the George Fame B-side, that is. This website requires three clicks in order for the URL to be pasted into the proper spot. It causes some problems. FIXED!
DeleteOops, sorry commented on the wrong post!
ReplyDeleteFascinating. (I quite appreciate the jazz bebop history tidbits.)
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'm always on the lookout for modern jazz on 45 so I can do more of these kinda posts!
Delete