THE FOUR WINDS (THE TOKENS), "STRANGE STRANGE FEELING" C/W "REMEMBER LAST SUMMER," SWING 100 (REL. 5/1964) LINKS REPAIRED
LINKS REPAIRED!
The Tokens made one hit single I can't stand ("The Lion Sleeps Tonight") and many far better records, with their mid-1960s material a peak in their career. By the start of '64, they were a five-man group, with newcomer Stephen Friedland (BKA Brute Force), who brought new life to this self-contained group. The Tokens wrote, arranged, produced and sang their music and were pop auteurs who let enough eccentricity into the mix to keep them interesting.
When the British invaders dominated the US chart for much of '64, The Tokens tried different pseudonyms in the apparent hope of attracting attention as some new out-of-the-blue group. One listen to any of these singles reveals that it's them--their vocal style and dense harmonies are unmistakable.
In this year, they masqueraded as The Buddies, with an excellent Merseybeat overhaul of their ballad "Only My Friend"--first recorded as a B-side by their girl-group charges The Chiffons. Today's one-off preceded that by several months and pairs the debut of a superior group original with a moody Latin vibe. "Strange Strange Feeling" would also be waxed by The Chiffons; both versions are fine, though I learn more towards the girls' rendition.
Without intending to do so, the song leans forward into the Summer of Love era; a touch of Doors, a little Santana. That music was yet unimaginable in early 1964, but its roots were already present and would develop in a fertile, malleable environment.
The Tokens would soon score a pop hit with the haunting Carole King/Gerry Goffin song "He's in Town" and get a major smash with their own "I Hear Trumpets Blow." Meanwhile, Stephen Friedland signed with Columbia as Brute Force and recorded one of the most eccentric LPs of the mid-1960s, with some attendant singles of note. The Tokens weren't a casualty of Beatlemania, but they learned fast that they had to adapt to new trends without hesitation. Everyone did.
Tomorrow: Obscure UK beat group The Shevelles, with two superior B-sides to US singles.






Thanks, Frank! I don't know if it's just my browser, but when I click on the "Hear ii Here" buttons I just get and enlarged link graphic instead of a music file. Yes, in 64' and 65' things were sure percolating...then came the other types of sounds being released in 66' and 67'... a different vibe with "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" and "Born To Be Wild" with "Sunshine of Your Love" and all the early Hendrix stuff just flipping everything completely and forever.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link fix, Frank! I hear what you mean about the forward lean of that first cut...also a little Ramsey Louis Trio vibe in their, to my ear at least. That second track reminds me of "Tonight I Fell In Love."
ReplyDeleteYou're right that "Strange Strange Feeling" presages some music to come. Love the drums on this one. Sounds very polished and Wrecking Crew-ish. "Remember Last Summer" is so last year sounding. That background doooby rum rum is like...um...totally Neil Sedaka.
ReplyDelete