LOU CHRISTIE & THE TAMMYS, "GUITARS AND BONGOS" (COLPIX CP 735, REL. 8/1964); "MAKE SUMMER LAST FOREVER" (COLPIX CP 770, REL. 3/1965)
Today we'll hear two distinctive tracks from singles for Colpix Records released in 1964 and '65. They weren't hits when first released. After "Lightnin' Strikes" blasted up the pop charts in 1966--it was banned in some markets due to suggestive lyrics and Christie had to re-record a couple of lines--labels that had released earlier material cashed in like mad. Deceptive titles may have fooled consumers, but given the opportunity to buy this album:
The buyer was rewarded with a dozen weird, wild songs, most from the Herbert/Christie songbook and featuring the interplay of The Tammys, whose eerie voices add another layer of wonderful "huh?" to the proceedings. In addition, kooky arranger Charlie Calello worked on most of its tracks. No other arranger could hope to better the results. It's like a Bizarro-world version of The Beach Boys--kinda sorta.
The two tracks you'll hear come from the stereo release of this album. The binaural separation heightens the vocal impact of Christie and The Tammys. I hope you'll indulge this deviation from the norm. The mono singles are on styrene, and fail to contain the mass of sound in these grooves.
"Guitars and Bongos" sounds as if it was custom-written for a John Waters movie that never got made. This ostensible teen romp on the beach veers from romantic drama to good-time free-for-all. The Tammys' piercing vocal harmonies and their coordination with Christie's lead is fascinating. The last 15 seconds of the recording goes somewhere intense and eerie and I wish it wasn't just a throwaway coda; this could go on for 10 minutes. Alas, such thoughts were anathema to 1964 pop music.
Beautiful and uncanny all at once, "Make Summer..." is a thing of wonder. I'm glad it exists. Prepare yourself and listen...
Once you visit Christieville, it's hard to come back to everyday reality. Take your time; you've experienced an otherworld of music.
Tomorrow: two solid late sides by Dinah Washington, who embraced rockin' r&b and early soul for some fine 45s for Roulette Records. This could have been a new direction for her, had she lived long enough.







'...throbbing hard-hitting thumper' Am I blushing? Man-oh-man these are weird songs. Those Tammys (is there more than one or is she just double tracked.) are like Sirens to Christie's falsetto notes. I have to admit that "Lightning Strikes" was one of my favorite songs—as 12 year old.
ReplyDeleteThere were three Tammys. If you want to hear something really weird, look for "Egyptian Shumba" by them. They did a few solo singles, and this one is...well, you gotta hear it. I wish I owned the record, but it's on YouTube.
DeleteThanks for the as always informative post, Frank! Those tracks are so unique. I remember as a kid seeing Christie interviewed on the Bandstand tv show and Dick Clark asked Christie about his voice as if he was the only guy on earth who could flip into a falsetto. Christie said something about having a high voice when he was a boy and then when his voice lowered as he aged he somehow retained his "boy voice" in addition to his older voice. I bought the 'Lightnin" Strikes' and 'Rhapsody in the Rain' 45's when they came out and still have them. When I heard Springsteen's 'Born to Run' for the first time in the early 70s I instantly wondered if the guitar break in the middle of that track was inspired by the guitar break in "Lightnin' Strikes". Wouldn't be surprised.
ReplyDeleteHi Dean! That wouldn't surprise me either. Springsteen seemed very attuned to the music of the early 1960s. He was an obvious fan of the Phil Spector sound on his early albums.
DeleteI once read an interview with Springsteen and at the beginning of it he was playing his 45s for the interviewer...as he put on "Baby, I Love You" he said, "this is the song of universes colliding," or something close to that. I read a separate interview with bassist Gary Tallent and he was an avid collector of 60s and 50s 45s, too.Thousands of them and that was in the late 70s.
DeleteWow! One can only imagine how his collection has grown since then. It'd be fun to talk records with him.
Deletetypo alert: i meant to say "this is the sound of universes colliding"...i think the interview was in crawdaddy.
Delete